at LeConte Memorial Lodge in Yosemite National Park
Dr. Bonnie J. Gisel, Curator,
(209) 403-6676 (phone preferred - please call before 6 p.m. Pacific Standard
We no longer need volunteers for the 2014 season.
For future years:
Volunteering at LeConte is a joyous opportunity to meet people from all over
the Earth and help them better enjoy Yosemite's natural and human history
and hopes for the future. If chosen, you will share the pure thoughts and good
deeds of Joseph LeConte and John Muir, the thoughts that culminated in the
creation of the Sierra Club in 1892 and the National Park Service in 1916 on
behalf of wild places. These places were voiceless without the help of LeConte,
Muir, and the Sierra Club, and now you can help! At LeConte Memorial Lodge
we serve a growing, active public, hungry to learn more about the world in
which they live, hungry to learn to live in this world with greater care.
LeConte Memorial Lodge is looking for dedicated volunteers to assist with the
operation of the Lodge during the season that begins May 1 and runs through
mid-September. LeConte Memorial Lodge is open Wednesday through Sunday from
10:00 am until 4:00 pm and from 8:00 pm until approximately 9:15 pm on Friday,
Saturday, and Sunday for evening programs. (Some Thursday evening programs
are given at the Lodge during the season as well). All the daytime programs
and activities and all the evening programs are open to the public and are
free. Some programs are oriented toward families and children.
Volunteers for LeConte Memorial Lodge must be members of the Sierra Club, since
the Sierra Club operates the program on behalf of the national park.
Wondering what it's really like? Read about the first-hand experiences of
VOLUNTEERING DATES NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 2015!
Sorry - there are no volunteer positions available for 2014.
For information or to volunteer, contact:
Curator Bonnie Gisel
(209) 403-6676 (phone preferred- Pacific Time Zone)
- free entrance pass to Yosemite National Park during your week of
- free shared camping at the designated LeConte Memorial Lodge campsite in Yosemite
National Park (Should you desire other housing arrangements these must be made
by the volunteer at the volunteer's expense.).
- volunteers have Monday and Tuesday on their own to enjoy Yosemite National
- free showers at Curry Village or Housekeeping Camp.
- these financial benefits exceed $250 per volunteer; but the experience of
being in Yosemite and sharing the National Park Idea with visitors is immeasurable.
LeConte Volunteer campsite is in the forest, near the river, just
beyond this meadow!
- greet the public, introduce visitors to the exhibits and the library, and to daytime and evening programs
- answer questions (materials and maps are provided)
- assist with general maintenance of building: sweeping, dusting
Volunteers arrive on Saturday by 3:00 p.m., work Saturday night and Sunday, have
Monday and Tuesday free to enjoy Yosemite National Park, then work the rest
of the week until they depart the following Saturday afternoon. Volunteer hours
are Wednesday through Sunday: 10:00 to 1:00 or 1:00 to 4:15 and one to four
evenings on Thursday through Sunday 7:30 until 9:30.
- volunteers must be members of the Sierra Club.
- volunteers must have visited Yosemite at least once in the last five years,
so they are knowledgeable enough to answer visitor's basic questions about
- volunteers may stay for only one week as a volunteer, but your stay as a
volunteer does not count against your camping limit on your own elsewhere in
- No guests are permitted. We have limited campground space for volunteers only.
- There are no accommodations for children.
- No pets are allowed in the campsite or in LeConte Memorial Lodge.
- campsites and bear boxes are shared by volunteers, presenters, and the curator
- volunteers are encouraged to draw from their own knowledge and share their reading and experience
- couples and partners are encouraged to volunteer and share the same shift
Information and Donations
For more information, beginning in February contact the curator at (209)
403-6676, and after April 25 call Leconte Memorial Lodge directly at (209)
During the winter, contact LeConte Lodge Committee Chair, Harold Wood, P.O. Box 3543,
Visalia, CA 93278; phone: (559) 697-3525; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finding adequate funding for LeConte Memorial Lodge has become a serious
issue. Tax deductible donations to
support your volunteer week, and the exhibits, programs, and other educational
efforts of the
LeConte Memorial Lodge can be made to "Sierra Club Foundation," marked
for the "LeConte Lodge Fund." Send to: Sierra Club Foundation, 85 Second
Street, Suite 750.
San Francisco, CA 94105.
Photo of 2004 volunteers © by James Nickelmann
Photo of meadow near campground © by Harold Wood
Used by permission.
Up to Top