at LeConte Memorial Lodge in Yosemite National Park
Dr. Bonnie J. Gisel, Curator, Bonnie.Gisel@sierraclub.org
2016 & 2017 Seasons
If you are interested in volunteering at LeConte Memorial Lodge, please note that due to the popularity of the program, volunteer applicants will be currently wait-listed for the 2017 season.
Volunteering at LeConte Memorial Lodge is a joyous opportunity to meet people from around the Planet and help them experience Yosemite's natural and human history; and, learn about the Sierra Club and its mission and goals. If chosen, you will share the thoughts and good deeds of Joseph LeConte and John Muir that culminated, on behalf of wild places that were voiceless, in the creation of the Sierra Club in 1892 and the creation of the National Park Service in 1916. Now you can help! At LeConte Memorial Lodge we serve a growing, active public, hungry to learn more about the world in which we live, hungry to learn to live on the Planet with greater care.
LeConte Memorial Lodge is looking for dedicated volunteers to assist with the operation of the Lodge during the season that begins May 1 and runs through September 30. LeConte Memorial Lodge is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm, with free evening programs on Friday and Saturday evenings at 8:00 pm. Seating for evening programs is limited to 50 guests. Some programs are oriented toward families and children.
Volunteers for LeConte Memorial Lodge must be members of the Sierra Club.
Wondering what it's really like? Read about the first-hand experiences of
- free entrance pass to Yosemite National Park during your week of
- free shared camping at the designated LeConte Memorial Lodge campsite in Yosemite
National Park (Should you desire other housing arrangements these must be made
by the volunteer at the volunteer's expense.).
- volunteers have Monday and Tuesday on their own to enjoy Yosemite National
- free showers at Curry Village or Housekeeping Camp.
- these financial benefits exceed $250 per volunteer; but the experience of
being in Yosemite and sharing the National Park Idea with visitors is immeasurable.
LeConte Volunteer campsite is in the forest, just
beyond this meadow!
- greet the public, introduce visitors to the exhibits and the library, and assist with evening programs
-answer questions (materials and maps are provided)—volunteers are encouraged to study on their own, training sessions are limited.
- assist with general maintenance of building: sweeping, dusting
Volunteers arrive on Saturday by 3:00 pm, work Saturday evening 7:15 pm until 10:00 pm, and Sunday, from 9:30 am until 1:00 pm or 12:45 pm until 4:15 pm. There is a staff meeting in camp on Saturday at 5:00 pm. There is a training session at LeConte Memorial Lodge on Sunday morning at 8:30 am. Monday and Tuesday are free days to enjoy Yosemite National Park. Volunteers work the remainder of the week, Wednesday through Saturday, 9:30 am until 1:00 pm or 12:45 pm until 4:15 pm; and, Friday evening 7:15 pm until 10:00 pm.
- Volunteers must be members of the Sierra Club.
- Volunteers must have visited Yosemite at least once in the last two years.
- Volunteers must have a basic working knowledge of Yosemite Naitional Park, directions, accommodations, food service, facilities.
- Volunteers should be comfortable talking with the public about the Sierra Club, the history of the Sierra Club as well as ongoing programs at LeConte Memorial Lodge and in the Park.
- Volunteers must be able to stand for up to 3 hours on a concrete floor and lift up to 40 pounds (chairs, tables, books, etc.).
- All volunteers provide their own tents, food, and camp equipment.
- Volunteers may stay for only one week as a volunteer, but your stay as a
volunteer does not count against your camping limit on your own elsewhere in
- No guests are permitted. We have limited campground space for volunteers only.
- There are no accommodations for children.
- No pets are allowed in the campsite or in LeConte Memorial Lodge.
-Group campsites and one food locker per volunteer or volunteer couple, in which to store all food and toiletries, are provided for volunteers.
- Volunteers will be provided with basic historical information about the Sierra Club and LeConte Memorial Lodge.
- Volunteers are encouraged to draw from their own knowledge and share their reading and experience.
- Couples and partners are encouraged to volunteer and share the same shift.
Information and Donations
For more information during the summer season, call Leconte Memorial Lodge directly at (209)
During the winter, contact LeConte Lodge Committee Chair, Harold Wood, P.O. Box 3543,
Visalia, CA 93278; phone: (559) 697-3525; e-mail: email@example.com
Finding adequate funding for LeConte Memorial Lodge has become a serious
issue. Tax deductible donations to
support your volunteer week, and the exhibits, programs, and other educational
efforts of the
LeConte Memorial Lodge can be made to "Sierra Club Foundation," marked
for the "LeConte Lodge Fund." Send to: Sierra Club Foundation, 85 Second
Street, Suite 750.
San Francisco, CA 94105.
Photo of 2004 volunteers © by James Nickelmann
Photo of meadow near campground © by Harold Wood
Used by permission.
Up to Top