To locate publishable photos of John Muir, and to obtain permission to reprint, please use the following resources (all off-site links):
Where to get Photos of John Muir:
- University of the Pacific Library John Muir Photographs - extensive digital collection representing all of the photographs of John Muir from the John Muir Papers and related collections.
- Museum Collections at John Muir National Historic Site - National Park Service - photographs include portraits of Muir and his family, his Martinez ranch house and orchards, personal belongings, and specimens that he collected.
- California Heritage Collection, Berkeley, California - (Do a search on John Muir for their collection of the Bancroft Library Portraits.
- California Faces - Selections from the Bancroft Portrait Collection - (Offsite Link with search engine)
- Library of Congress, The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Reading Room, Washington, D.C.
- Colby Library, Sierra Club, San Francisco, California
- John Muir National Historic Site, Martinez, California
- John Muir Collections at University of the Pacific, Stockton, California
- San Joaquin Valley Library System Photo Heritage Collection (search for Muir)
- John Muir Image Gallery - Wisconsin Electronic Reader, Madison, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Historical Society - Includes "young" John Muir available for purchase
The images presented below are provided for educational and research purposes. This website's digital images come from a variety of sources. We are not able to provide photographs. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. The determination of copyright status and restrictions ultimately rests with the user.
John Muir circa 1893
Photograph from the U.S. National Park Service
(file size = 32 kilobytes)
(file size = 36 kilobytes)
took the slide from which this picture was scanned.
It is slide #1 from his set JM-1,
which is copyrighted, provided here by permission.
(file size = 78 kilobytes)
Bancroft Library Collection.
(file size = 17 kilobytes)
(file size = 10 kilobytes)
(file size = 50 kilobytes)
A photograph of Muir at Mirror Lake in Yosemite
(file size = 180 kilobytes)
Larger version - 300 kilobytes Photo from Library of Congress. See especially, The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920
John Muir Among the Pines
(file size = 55 kilobytes)
John Muir seated in Yosemite - Photo taken by Professor Francis M. Fritz in 1907.
Photo from University of California Bancroft Library which houses the Sierra Club archives. ID #JM 33. Bancroft Library Photo Duplication Services Unit
(file size = 37 kilobytes)
John Burroughs (left) with John Muir (right)
(file size = 63 kilobytes)
John Muir in the Big Arroyo Camp, Kern Canyon, 1908
Photo by Walter L. Huber
Source: Sierra Club Bulletin, Vol. X, Plate CXXXII.
(file size = 157 kb)
John Muir. Photo by Edward Hughes. Copyright 1902.
Photo from Library of Congress. Location: Biographical File
Reproduction Number: LC-USZ62-53148
Also Available: Full-size image: 72 dpi, 115x x 1486, 224 kb)
Copyright and Other Restrictions
Which Apply to Publication and Other Forms of Distribution of Images: Sources
for Information from the Library of Congress.
John Muir and President Theodore Roosevelt on Horseback, Yosemite 1903
Muir and and William Kent at Muir Woods Inn, circa 1909.
Photo from National Park Service Collection.
Read more about William Kent.
(file size = 140 kb)
Muir talking to a group at lower end of Tuolumne Meadows. Photograph by W. L. Huber, July 18, 1909 - from California Faces: Selections from the Bancroft Library Portrait Collection. Muir is shown holding a bread bag, as he so often wrote about, while everyone else in this photo is wearing a backpack.
Muir Portrait by Herbert W. Gleason October 1913.
For more historic photographs of John Muir, see:
Home | Alphabetical Index | What's New