William E. Colby Memorial Library
Reading Lists: The Club and its Leaders
- Carr, Clifton and Turner, Tom. 1990. Wild by law: the Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund and the places it has saved. San Francisco: Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund in association with the Sierra Club Books.
- Carr, Patrick. 1989. The Sierra Club, a Guide. San Francisco: Sierra Club.
- A Century of Environmental Action: The Sierra Club, 1892-1992; special issue of California History, the magazine of the California Historical Society. 1992. San Francisco: California Historical Society.
- Cohen, Michael P. 1988. The History of the Sierra Club, 1892-1970. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
- Gilliam, Ann, ed. 1979. Voices for the Earth: a treasury of the Sierra Club bulletin. Introduction by Harold Gilliam. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
- Gilliam, Harold. 1992. "The Sierra Club's First Century." San Francisco Chronicle. Three part series published April 19-May 3, 1992 in This World, a Sunday insert to the San Francisco Chronicle. Part one: Founding fathers, the victories of Yosemite and Dinosaur National Monument, the defeat of Hetch Hetchy / Part two: The Grand Canyon, Diablo Canyon and the controversial David Brower / Part three: The redwoods, Alaska and the spotted owl; Edgar Wayburn's legacy; the agonies of growth.
- Jones, Holway R. 1965. John Muir and the Sierra Club: the Battle for Yosemite. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
- Turner, Tom. 1991. Sierra Club: 100 Years of Protecting Nature. New York: Abrams.
Outings, Mountaineering, Skiing, etc.
- Alsup, William. 2001. Missing in the Minarets: the Search for Walter A. Starr, Jr. Yosemite National Park, CA: Yosemite Association. (Also listed under Walter A. Starr, Jr.)
- Wicken, Ingrid. 2001. Pray For Snow: The History of Skiing in Southern California. Norco, CA: Vasa Press. Chapter 5: Ski Mountaineers of the Sierra Club.
Key Figures in Sierra Club's Past & Present
See also: the Sierra Club Oral History Series for oral histories of Sierra Club leaders and volunteers.
- Adams, Ansel. 1990. The American Wilderness. Boston: Little, Brown.
- Adams, Ansel and Alinder, Mary Street. 1985. Ansel Adams: an Autobiography. Boston: Little, Brown.
- Alinder, Mary Street. 1996. Ansel Adams: a Biography. New York: H. Holt.
- Alinder, Mary Street. 1988. Ed. Ansel Adams: Letters and Images. Boston: Little, Brown.
- Hammond, Anne. 2002. Ansel Adams: Divine Performance. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Newhall, Nancy. 1964. Ansel Adams. San Francisco: Sierra Club.
- Spaulding, Jonathan. 1995. Ansel Adams and the American Landscape: a Biography. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Strangis, Joel. 2002. Ansel Adams: American artist with a camera. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Publishers.
- Szarkowski, John and Adams, Ansel. 2001. Ansel Adams at 100. Boston: Little, Brown and Co.
- Turnage, Robert. 1979. Ansel Adams: the Role of the Artist in the Environmental Movement. Santa Cruz, CA: Turnage.
- Boga, Steven. 1994. Climbers: Scaling the Heights with the Sport's Elite. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books.
- Brower, David, R. 1990. For Earth's Sake: the Life and Times of David Brower. Salt Lake City: Peregrine Smith Books.
- Brower, David, R. 1991. Work in Progress. Salt Lake City: Peregrine Smith Books.
- Brower, David, R. and Chapple, Steve. 1995. Let the Mountains Talk, Let the Rivers Run: A Call to Those Who Would Save the Earth. San Francisco: HarperCollins West.
- Robinson, Nicholas, A. (2001, Summer). "David Ross Brower and Nature's Laws." Pace Environmental Law Review, 18(2): 221-226.
- Clyde, Norman. 1998. Close Ups of the High Sierra. 1st ed. Bishop, Calif.: Spotted Dog Press.
- Clyde, Norman. 1975. El Picacho del Diablo: the Conquest of Lower California's Highest Peak, 1932 & 1937. Los Angeles: Dawson's Book Shop. Introduction and bibliography by John W. Robinson; photographs by Nathan Clark.
- Clyde, Norman. 1971. Norman Clyde of the Sierra Nevada: Rambles through the Range of Light; 29 Essays on the Mountains. San Francisco: Scrimshaw Press.
- LeConte, Joseph. 1903. The Autobiography of Joseph LeConte; edited by William Dallam Armes. New York: D. Appleton.
- Stephens, Lester D. 1982. Joseph LeConte, Gentle Prophet of Evolution. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press.
McCloskey, J. Michael. 2005. In the Thick of It: My Life in the Sierra Club. Washington, DC: Island Press.
Merrow, Susan D. and Rickerby, Wanda A. 1992. One for the Earth: Journal of a Sierra Club President. Champaign, IL: Sagamore Pub.
See The John Muir Exhibit
Walter A. Starr, Jr.
Alsup, William. 2001. Missing in the Minarets: the Search for Walter A. Starr, Jr. Yosemite National Park, CA: Yosemite Association.
- Stegner, Page and Stegner, Mary, eds. 1996. The Geography of Hope: A Tribute to Wallace Stegner. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
- Stegner, Wallace. 1969. The Sound of Mountain Water. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday.
Wayburn, Edgar. 2005. Your Land and Mine: Evolution of a Conservationist. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
Werbach, Adam. 1997. Act Now, Apologize Later. New York: Cliff Street Books.