Wildlife Biologist

WHAT IT TAKES: A bachelor's degree in biology, wildlife ecology, or a related field. Depending on your goals, a master's or Ph.D. in biology may also be necessary. Field research experience and knowledge of GPS and GIS are helpful.

TOP SCHOOLS: Colorado State University, Cornell University, UC Berkeley and Davis; many top universities have strong biology programs.


WHO'D BE INTO IT: Scientifically inclined types who want to work outside and protect wildlife

HOT SPOTS: Most of the Western states, though jobs can be found wherever there is wildlife

INTERNSHIP OR SUMMER JOB: Local, state, and federal public-land-management agencies often have summer field positions; professors also offer field research and monitoring opportunities.