New Art Exhibition Opens
A Tale of Two Scots:
Historic California Collection
Reunites John Muir and William Keith
For immediate release: February 20, 2001
Hearst Art Gallery and the William Keith
Collection: 925-631-4069 or email@example.com.
John Muir Memorial Association and the William
F. and Maynie B. Kimes Collection: 925-229-3857.
MORAGA -- Lovers of John Muir's and William Keith's lives and
legacies will want to visit the Keith Room of the Hearst Art Gallery at
Saint Mary's College, beginning March 17, 2001 to view a major collection of
original documents, photographs, letters, books and other materials,
much of which originally belonged to the great naturalist John Muir.
The two men were born in Scotland in 1838 to families who
immigrated to the United States more than a decade later. A memorable
friendship formed from the time they first met in Yosemite as adults.
When they were no longer robust enough to continue their joint camping
sojourns throughout the Western wilderness, the two corresponded until
Keith's death at his Berkeley home in 1911. Muir died at his Martinez
ranch three years later. Late in life, Keith assisted Muir in his
unsuccessful campaign to save Hetch-Hetchy Valley. Before their
deaths, Keith had become California's premier late 19th century
landscape painter; Muir the father of the Sierra Club and the first and
most eloquent advocate for the preservation of the Western wilderness.
The extensive collection of more than 1200 items was just
acquired by the John Muir Memorial Association on behalf of the John
Muir National Historic Site. The Saint Mary's College William Keith
Collection includes more than 150 paintings, sketchbooks, photographs
and letters. Selected Keith paintings will be displayed with the
documents in four exhibitions over an 18-month period, beginning
Saturday, March 17. Future exhibitions, Muir's Range of Light, Saving
Hetch-Hetchy and Alaska, John Muir's Glacier Classroom, will feature
Keith's dramatic paintings of Hetch Hetchy and Yosemite Valleys; the
Sierra Nevada and Alaska.
The Muir documents, painstakingly collected over a lifetime
of research and travel, by William F. and Maymie B. Kimes, will be the
centerpiece of the proposed Education and Visitor Center at the John
Muir National Historic Site in Martinez. The Kimes Collection is
temporarily housed at the Saint Mary's College Library archives.
The John Muir Memorial Association was formed in 1956 to
preserve the John Muir home site and assure its transfer to the National
Parks Service. The John Muir Memorial Association continues to work
with the National Parks Service to preserve the mansion and surrounding
orchards, native plants and grounds to interpret the life of Muir and
the history of the home and ranch.
The Hearst Art Gallery is accredited by the American
Association of Museums. Gallery hours are Wednesdays through Sundays,
11 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Parking is free; a $1 admission donation is appreciated.
From 2003 until 2006, the Keith
Collection will travel to museums throughout the United States. To
schedule a group tour, call 925-631-4379.
Contact Heidi Donner at 925.631-4069 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more
Other Exhibits in the Series
| Alphabetical Index
| What's New